Apr 18, 2011

O is for Onomatopoeia

What the heck is an onomatopoeia?  Even if you don't recognize this cool word, I'll bet you're familiar with what it is.

An onomatopoeia is a word that is derived from a sound, like beep or boing.  Remember the original Batman show from the 60s, with POW and BOOM in big letters exploding on your television screen?  Those were onomatopoeias.  Interestingly enough, one of Batman's villains was named Onomatopoeia.

You might find the stray onomatopoeia in my writing as I post about my critters fairly often on my other blogs.  They don't know that WOOF, MEOW, CLUCK, or PEEP are onomatopoeiae - it's all just words to them.




I'm taking the A-Z Blogging Challenge, where I will post something from each letter of the alphabet on the corresponding day in April, except for Sunday, on (hopefully) all four of my blogs. You can see my other blogs in the sidebar - More of Marie Anne.

12 comments:

  1. I have always loved this word! It just rolls off the tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent word! And thanks for reminding me about the Batman TV show, I used to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another one of my favorite O words (Langley did Oxymoron today)...As Karen B said, it just rolls off the tongue...and it's FUN :) Thanks for a great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love the 60's Batman, it was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, onomatopoeias. Super word choice. I did not know that a Batman villain had that as a name.

    I’m A-Z Blogging on Langley Writes about Writing and Langley’s Rich and Random Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun! First I've heard of this word!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great word! I loved the old Batman show!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good word! A few years back, I had one little girl in my daycare who made really realistic animal sounds. When the other kids were saying 'moo' and 'oink,' she lowed and snorted like a true barnyard baby. :O)


    My “O” post: http://www.word-nerd-speaks.com/2011/04/old-mother-hubbard-economic-reality.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun read Thank You. I remember the words in batman like it was yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that word. Really helps words to flow, especially in poetry. My latest A-Z Challenge blog is here: http://myheartblogstoyou.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice meeting you via the A-Z Challenge. I find that I get tongue-tied when I try to say onomatopoeia. Even my fingers have a heck of a time typing it out. Sheesh. I think it's easier for me to type oink than to explain what it is in the definition of the English language.

    ReplyDelete