Feb 25, 2011

The Tax Man Cometh - Freelancers, Are You Ready?

It's that time of year again.  Pull out all those receipts and scraps of paper you have shoved in your desk drawer and try to make some sense of it to file your income tax return.  It can be a real headache if you freelance, but there are tools out there to help make the task easier.

I started freelancing two years ago and didn't earn much the first year, so didn't bother with a Schedule C and deducting expenses.  I earned enough in 2010 that filing a Schedule C makes more fiscal sense, and I'm tackling the job myself, with help from a friend.

Angie Mohr is an accountant and freelance writer, with several books in print and ebook form as well as articles featured at Yahoo! Finance.  Her books cover a number of topics in the finance arena, and of most interest to me are her ebooks targeted specifically to the freelancer and taxes.

Angie has a special deal going on right now where you can order an ebook bundle, which includes two ebooks and customizable Excel templates,  for $25 - a savings of $12.50.  In addition, she's donating $3 from every sale during the month of February March to help out another fellow writer, Rissa Watkins, who is battling Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia.

I bought the bundle and what I learned by reading Tax Preparation & Planning for Freelance Writers has already paid for my purchase (and it's also tax deductible as a business expense).


The second book in this offer is Managing a Freelance Writing Business:  A Writer's Guide to Building a Strong Company.  I'll spend more time with this book after I get my taxes done, but just perusing the chapter titles tells me that an increase in earnings will far surpass what I paid for the book.

Grabbing this deal should be a no-brainer ... Learn how to make more money, save money on taxes, and help out fellow writers in the process.




Disclosure:  The opinions contained in this post are mine alone.  I was not compensated in any way for my comments.

1 comment:

  1. I'm bookmarking this blog post. I have made only around $300 over a 2-year period, so I'm not filing this year. Of course I was sick for most of 2010, but still, I'm hoping I'll make enough this year to file an income tax return by the end of December. Thanks for posting the link.

    ReplyDelete