Mar 2, 2012

How to Add a Pinterest 'Pin' Button to Your Blog



Pinterest is the new rage, marrying social networking with traditional bookmarking of your favorite sites.  If you have a blog, make it easy for your readers to pin your posts by adding a button directly to the blog entry.

Note:  Not a member of Pinterest yet?  You should be!  Leave a comment with an email address that I can send an invitation to and you'll be hooked in no time.

I use blogger, so the steps outlined below will be geared towards that platform, but you should be able to apply them to most any other blogging site or your own website.

1)  Open the individual blog post you want to add the Pin button to, not your main blog URL.

This is the blog post I will add the pin button to

2)  Log in and go to Pinterest Goodies and scroll down to "Pin It" Button for Websites.

3)  Fill in the blanks with the information from the blog post .


Paste the URL of the blog post in the first line (copy/paste from your address bar)
Paste the URL of the photo in the second line (right click the photo and copy the URL)
Choose a name or short description for the pin and enter it in the third line

Note:  If your blog post doesn't contain a quality photo, you can copy the URL of any photo which copyright doesn't prohibit you from using it.  

4)  After filling in the blanks, the appropriate code will appear in the larger box, shaded in blue. Copy that, then

5)  Open your blog to edit, and go to html mode


6) Paste the code that you copied from Pinterest Goodies at the top (or wherever you want the button to appear on the post).

Code copied from Pinterest Goodies is in blue

7)  Preview the post to make sure the button shows up where you want it.

Note the Pin button in red
Enlarged view
8)  Click Update to apply the changes to the blog post.

9)  View your post with the Pin button, just as your readers will see it.

It might take some time to go through your earlier blog posts to add the Pin button, but once you've done it a time or two, it will become second nature to do it as soon as your blog post goes live so that you can grab the URL.  With a great photo and a popular post, the effort can really pay off as your readers Pin your posts to their Pinterest boards, which can then be seen and repinned by others.

7 comments:

  1. Fantastic idea for a blog post! LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Useful tips. You should be able to configure it on one of the sharing plugins as well. I haven't tweaked my Blogger blog for a while, so I'm not sure which ones are available. You can find me on Pinterest under "poddys", I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I was afraid of...that we have to add the pin it button manually. I was hoping for a way that it would automatically be in every post we do.
    Now, if I can remember to pt it in, I might start getting some more traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this, Marie Anne! I'm going to set aside some time Sunday to add it to all my posts, but I did test it out on one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to know some opinions on this...what about just adding the "pin it" function to your browser's toolbar and then pinning your blog post yourself instead of going through all of the work of adding the button to each post? Would that work the same way? I need some help with this, please!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlene, the purpose of the 'pin it' button on your blog post is so that your readers can pin it, not you.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the help! Too bad there isn't a way to add this code to your post template and just replace it each time with the new post address...I tried to do that and it didn't work, maybe I'll work with it some more and see what I can come up with. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete